Abused, Homeless Children Find Expression Through Art

CWGood

WHAT THE?
Free Arts Day gives children in need a chance to unwind, and experience art. 

THE DOWNLOAD
Frank Thompson is a teaching artist. Surrounding by a circle of campers and volunteers, he orchestrates simply melodies played by the group banging on drums. These melodies are taught to kids for Free Arts Day with the end goal being expression through playing music. Free Arts is an organization helping abused and homeless children express themselves through art, promoting expression and a sense of belonging. At the Phoenix Art Museum, nearly 200 children from many backgrounds experience various forms of art such as makeup and costume design, art museum tours, sound and response exercises, and dance lessons. Former Free Arts Camper, Keke, is now a volunteer and says events like Free Arts Day has carried over positive effects to her personal life. “I’ve learned how to better express myself with my parents, and like being able to talk with my grandmother. I know I’m already great but it shows me that I can be even greater in the community.” Free Arts holds camps like this one several times a year.

Scripps TV Station Group © 2019 The E.W. Scripps Co

Latest Stories

More Community

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories