Quick 6 Smart Ways To Lower Your Tax Bill

Time Your Events to Save on Taxes

Quick 6 ways to lower your tax bill. 

You can give the government less of your money by taking advantage of all the legal tax savings for which you qualify. Here are 10 of the finest ways to hang onto more of your cash in the new tax year.

1. Maximize Retirement Plans Your greatest tax deferral may come from maximizing contributions to your IRA or 401(k) up to the limits. For the 2016 and 2017 tax years, IRA contribution limits are $5,500 with an extra $1,000 catch-up contribution if you are at least fifty years old, while 401(k) limits for 2016 and 2017 are $18,000 with a $6,000 catch-up contribution limit.  Contributions to IRAs made before April 17, 2017, can be applied to the 2016 tax year as long as you stay below the total annual limits.

2. Itemize Deductions – Do not just assume the standard deduction works best for you. There is a wide range of tax deductions available to you, and they may well add up to tax savings if you properly document and submit them. See IRS Form 1040 Schedule A to look over the possibilities. Do not forget to save the necessary corresponding receipts.

3. Hunt for Tax Credits – Tax credits are more powerful than deductions, since they are subtracted directly off your tax bill instead of reducing your taxable income. Many tax credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, are targeted toward taxpayers with lower incomes. Check out the possible credits at the IRS website.

4. Make an Educational Investment – By investing in a state 529 program or similar college savings program, you can help your money grow, tax-free, as long as the funds are used for valid educational expenses. Since these programs are established with after-tax dollars, they will not save you money this year on Federal taxes, but many states allow you to take deductions or credits on your state tax return.

5. Check your Filing Status – Married filing jointly or married filing single? It isn’t always obvious which filing strategy works best. Usually a joint filing, but filing separately could reduce your adjusted gross-income (AGI) enough to stay below phase-out limits on deductions.

6. Time Events – By moving end-of-year expenses such as mortgage payments and self-employment taxes forward into December, you can apply the deductions to this year. Other possibilities include moving medical expenses forward to consume any remaining funds in a Flexible Savings Account (FSA) and asking for bonuses and payments to be deferred into January if the income will out you over a phase-out threshold.



This article was provided by our partners at moneytips.com.

To Read More From MoneyTips:

What Is My IRS PIN?

You Can Check Your Credit Score for Free Now

How to Identify Tax Identity Theft


More Stories

The CW

Latest News

Video Center

Don't Miss