Quick 6 events to celebrate Earth Day!
Earth day is Saturday and as a conscientious member of society, as we all are, you should be observing it. The day was created in 1970 by Gaylord Nelson, a Wisconsin senator who was worried about the rapid increase of industrialization as well as the people’s careless attitudes towards the environment. Well, Senator Nelson looks like you were on the right track. Let’s honor this day, make a difference, and try to reduce our carbon footprint for the day! Here are 6 things you can do:
1. Plant a tree – It’s a wonderful way to celebrate the day. Planting trees helps improve air quality by storing carbon, trapping pollutants and producing oxygen. So get out, take the kids and get planting. On Saturday there is an ‘Earth day planting class for kids’ at the Farm at South Mountain.
2. Don’t drive – Well okay, you can still drive, but be smart about it. Carpool, walk to the coffee shop you normally drive to, maybe dust off those bikes and take them for a spin. There are many alternatives that will help you reduce your carbon footprint.
3. Recycle – You should be recycling every day, but if you don’t… there is no better time than Earth day to start. You can even take recycling to new measures and bring items to the Phoenix Zoo. Charity Recycling Solutions is paying the Phoenix Zoo for every pound of recycled material they collect. Accepted items are All clothing and clothing accessories (purses, belts, shoes, hats and jackets), towels, bed sheets, pillow cases (no pillows) and books (no magazines).
4. Go to an Earth Day event – If events are more your thing, then here you go! Earth Day Peace Festival is happening right here in Arizona. You might have to make it a day trip though (just remember to carpool). It is taking place in Sedona and is set to include a scenic walk, prayer, lunch, and dinner as well as many performances throughout the day.
5. Create ZERO waste – Yes, this sounds hard… but it’s a good goal to try and hit. If you need a little help or a boost in the right direction, you can attend the 8th annual Earth Day event here in Phoenix. The event is located at Steele Indian School Park. It is a zero-waste event. However, they have recycling and compost bins throughout the event. They also encourage alternative transportation to get there!
6. GO GREEN – Stop contributing to the millions of plastic bags that end up in our oceans. Bring re-usable bags to the grocery store on Saturday, even reusable produce bags! Don’t have any? Not an excuse. You can drop by Natural Grocers and pick up a free reusable shopping bag. They’ll even give you a plant seed to take home and plant in your garden. Win-Win.
'Petique,' a Phoenix-area pet store, closes shop.
Children in the East Valley sport their…
Comic book lover steps up big time.